Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Fourteenth Wedding Anniversary

Fourteenth Wedding Anniversary….

Being married to the same guy is a long time. Lately, I’ve noticed that a lot of marriages have been falling apart for around me. Almost all of my family members are divorced. Only a few of them are widows of the long marriage.

I’m amazed at how long have I’ve been marred to Ken. He is such a wonderful guy to be with. He’s the happy-go-lucky guy that you can easily get along with as friends. I love him for who he is. We are still growing together despite the ups-and-downs that have been going on throughout our married life. I met him in the neighborhood block party in May of 1992 on his mother’s birthday. So we’ve courted for about four months before he had decided to propose on the Labor-Day party on September 5th. 1992 So we were engaged for almost a year before we got married on September 4th, 1993.

So here I am blogging about this almost fourteen years later. Our wedding anniversary is coming up on Tuesday, September 4th, 2007. I don’t know what we will be doing this weekend preceding this week’s date. So I just hope that it will be a good weekend though. Maybe I’ll just reminisce about our wedding and possibly watch the video of our wedding. Of course; I need to transfer it to DVD.

Anyway; I think that our marriage is still growing strong. Of course, we have argued over a number of things as the typical married couple would… Most of them are about money and some other dumb things. But we’d eventually get over it.

I sure don’t know how Ken puts up with me over the fourteen years. I’ve had a lot of odd quirks. So does he! And I don’t know how I put up with his odd quirks.

You see? He likes cold weather, I don’t. He likes night time, I don’t. There are more opposites that we have to contend with at times. But we do have similar tastes in food and clothing and leisure.

We sometimes like to do things together such as eating out and going shopping at different stores. And sometimes; we like to do different things apart from each other. Like I’d be at my computer chatting with my friends while Ken would be watching TV in another room. So it gets pretty busy in this house.

In one of the anniversaries; I’ve the weekend evacuated to my grandmother’s house during Hurricane Frances in 2004. So that was our eleventh anniversary being stuck in our shelter during the hurricane. Another of our anniversaries was spent at camp Agape with the Special Gatherings ministry.

We had only two honeymoons so that was not bad at all. Of course, I had laryngitis from screaming on the roller coasters, and I’ve skinned my foot bad on one of those Wet-N-Wild water-slides. Yeouch! We also had spent time during our honeymoons dealing with the time-share sales-representatives. The one on the second time-share was very persistent. (Well, I’ll tell you more about this later!)... So we did have fun nonetheless. On most of our anniversaries, Ken has had spent a lot of money on me, Heehee. He’d buy a few greeting cards, a couple of balloons, and flowers. There’s a few times that he’d bought me dozen roses! Oh, yeah, and candies sometimes. Most of our anniversaries, he’d be taking me out for dinner and splurge! Oh, and we’ve spent a couple anniversaries at church!

Our wedding color theme was purple and the theme was about the roses. Well, I’ve had my cousin, Misty; sing a song called, “The Rose” by Bette Midler. The person who had composed this song has passed away about over a week ago. I found that out by looking for the YouTube video of the same name. I have thought of this fourteenth wedding anniversary when I was looking for “The Rose” and then watching and listening and to the YouTube video of it. So the roses and purple do come together for the September wedding. So our wedding was memorable in many ways. We were the first wedding to be performed by Pastor Lamar Taylor at this church called Grace Chapel. There are quite a few Taylors that have popped up throughout our wedding. We were being married as the “Taylor” our best man was a Taylor, one of our groomsmen is a Taylor, our photographer is a Taylor, and that’s not all. We also rented the arbor and punch fountain from the Taylor Rentals. Just before the wedding had started; I cried when I looked through the two-way mirror in the church-secretary office waiting to be walked down the aisle by my Granddaddy. There Ken was up there with sweaty palms. As I’ve walked down the aisle; there was only one side of the church which was really crowded with people, and it was the bride’s side. The bridge-groom’s side has about maybe 20 people in it. That must’ve been some kind of the popularity contest. First our Pastor Taylor has made a mistake of calling me “Ken” instead of “Tracy”. Then, Ken made a mistake of not completing the vow after “Till death do us part.” And I almost forgot to blow out the flame from the taper of the unity candle. Ken has forgotten that he’d hugged my cousin, Melissa just before we began our receiving line. And I’ve totally forgotten that I’ve danced with Ken’s brother-in-law. Jeff. His brother, Don, has sprayed a little bit of silly string in Aunt Bonnie’s direction, and she got up out of her chair like she was going to deck him. Still, my mother hates wearing shoes as she was dancing with my newly wedded hubby, Ken.

Well, speaking of the wedding; there are a few people that I do miss now as I remember them. Barbara Cutshall, Ken’s mom passed on in February 12, 1995. Uncle Bill Poindextor was gone in 1996 Miss Luanna May was gone in November of 1997. Uncle Joseph Mitchell Sr. was gone in December 22, 1999. Granddaddy was gone in August 3, 2001, Aunt Farlene was gone in July 22, 2002, Aunt Ruth (Pat) in July 6, 2005. Many of the family members have grown apart ever since Granddaddy passed on. So yes, a lot of our family members have gone to do different things. A lot of people have changed since then.

So there are still a lot of things I’ve remembered about our wedding about 14 years ago. It’s amazing that our marriage has lasted this long. I will praise God that I’m still married to the wonderful handsomest guy on earth.

Yes, the most important ingredient in our marriage is God. Yes, God. He is the center of our lives as one flesh. Then, next comes our marriage, then, the family, and last but not least, the friends.

So we have celebrated most of the day as I’ve gone to teach at our church’s Joyful Noise class. The friend who I’ve worked with as the teacher has brought in the balloon and a card. The class has celebrated our union. Then, when we finished our class, and put away the materials and equipment, I got in the car and had opened the “Kay Jewelers” bag. In it was the greeting card for the wife, a stuffed polar-bear holding a stuffed penguin (NOW what’s wrong with this picture!), and a nice sapphire ring. Then, Ken and I went out to eat at the Longhorn’s Steakhouse Restaurant. Oh, their food is delicious!!! And, we just got home just about over a half hour ago before I’ve started to finish this blog.

Now you see that you too can make it as long as you have God as the center of your lives together as the married couple.

Anyway; that is pretty much of what I have to say about our fourteenth wedding anniversary. Yes, we’ve had good and bad times, but we learn to grow and learn from our mistakes.

I thank You Father God for this marriage and will continue to be thankful as You bless this marriage. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: